Connect with us


Woman dies after ingesting insecticide in Lagos



A 39-year-old woman has died after ingesting insecticide due to frustration. Lilian Nwarache drank insecticide on Friday, Nov. 3, in the Iwaya area of Lagos State.

After consuming the toxic substance, she attempted to jump into a canal but was stopped by passersby who then put her in a keke napep and rushed her to a hospital.

She was confirmed dead at the hospital.

It has now been revealed that the woman was battling an illness that had defied treatment. She had been seeking healing in a church in Iwaya but became frustrated when that was not forthcoming.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed her death.

He said, “It was reported on Friday, around 2 pm, at the Sabo police station, that a woman, 39-year-old, with an unknown address, committed suicide.

“She had been having a protracted illness and visited a church for prayers.

“But while in the frustrating condition, she drank a full bottle of a popular brand of insecticide and was making frantic efforts to jump into the canal.

“She was prevented and rushed to the health centre Iwaya where she was confirmed dead by a medical doctor on duty.”

Detectives were immediately sent to the scene. Photographs were taken, the insecticide plastic containing little content, her three passports and one Samsung phone were recovered in her small bag.”

Hundeyin disclosed that efforts were in progress to contact her family members, while her corpse had been deposited at the Lagos Mainland Hospital Mortuary for an autopsy.

READ ALSO  Christmas message: Leave Sokoto or stop your malicious vituperations – Muslim group tells Bishop Kukah

He said: “Her corpse has been removed and deposited at the Lagos Mainland Hospital Mortuary for preservation and autopsy.

“Efforts are in progress to contact her family members and preliminary investigation is also in progress.”

Follow us on social media: