Five injured as gas explosion rocks popular Rivers shopping mall

A gas explosion at a Port Harcourt shopping mall on Wednesday ignited a fire which left at least five persons critically injured.

The incident which happened around 4 :00 p . m . forced the early closure of the mall .
It was gathered that the fire started at the continental cuisines ’ kitchen , a section within the mall which cooks and serves Chinese and other continental dishes .
It was learnt that five workers at the kitchen , who were badly burnt were rushed to the Rivers State University Teaching Hospital where they are currently receiving treatment .


A taxi driver who witnessed the incident told The PUNCH that he could not stand the cries of those were injured as they were rushed to the hospital .

He said , “ The fire incident happened around 4 :00 p . m . There was a gas explosion at the continental / Chinese dishes kitchen which resulted in a fire .

“ The fire burnt about five of the workers badly. In fact , one of the victims ’ skin was peeling off like burnt clothes as he cried , I couldn ’ t watch , to be honest . ”
Efforts to reach the mall ’ s management failed at the premises was sealed by security and no one was allowed entry.

DON'T MISS: Download Edujandon.com News app and get latest news updates directly to your phone!