Connect with us


8 in 10 Nigerian Women in Italy are S*x Trafficking Victims – Vatican News Agency Reveals



​At least 80% of Nigerian women and girls arriving in Italy are s*x trafficking victims, Vatican news agency, Agenzia Fides reported Wednesday.

The Vatican News Agency, Agenzia Fides reported on Wednesday that at least 80% of Nigerian women and girls arriving in Italy are s*x trafficking victims.

Speaking at an international conference against human trafficking organized by Christian Organisations Against Trafficking in Human Beings (COATNET) and Catholic charity Caritas in Abuja, Monsignor Ignatius Ayau Kaigama said;

“Hundreds of thousands of people fall victim to human trafficking every year in Africa alone.

“Of the overall number of victims, 79% are s*xually exploited and the majority are women. The remaining 21% are coerced into forced labor, and the majority of these are men.

“In some parts of West Africa, the majority of trafficking victims are children under 18,” said Kaigama, who is the archbishop of Jos and president of the Nigerian Bishops Conference.

“This conference must find a way to put an end to child labor in all its forms,” the archbishop said, and also called on the Nigerian government “to declare human trafficking a national disgrace, and to take urgent and long-lasting measures to address its root causes.

“This in light of recent reports that 80% of Nigerian girls that reach Italy, do so for reasons of s*x trafficking.”

READ ALSO  Muslim Rights Concern Orders The Arrest Of Apostle Suleman