Connect with us

News

Officer injured and 29 bags of rice carted away as suspected hoodlums attack customs office in Kebbi

Published

on

An officer was injured and 29 bags of rice were carted away after some suspected hoodlums attacked a Customs office in Yauri Local Government Area of Kebbi State.


The incident occurred on Thursday night, according to a statement released on Saturday by the spokesman for the NCS Command in Kebbi, Mohammed Salisu.

He disclosed that the attack happened because officers intercepted some smuggled items in the area.

The statement read,

“During the late hours of Thursday, March 21, 2024, at about 2310 hours, the combined team of Yauri outstation and surveillance were informed of a suspected smuggling activity at Yauri Waterside. Upon arriving at the scene, 41 bags of foreign parboiled rice were seized, secured, and taken to the outstation.

“Afterwards, a mob attack was launched by the aggrieved smugglers by way of mobilising hoodlums to attack the outpost.

“Upon sighting the mob, the management contacted the command and other sister agencies for reinforcement, which helped in containing the situation.

“Amid the attack, the OIC sustained a hand injury; 1 AK-47 rifle was carted away but retrieved shortly; and 29 out of 41 bags of the seized rice were taken away by the attackers.

“The mob went further to vandalise the OIC personal vehicle, the outstation Air Conditioner, chairs, tables, windows, doors, and other essentials put in place to support the operations of the outstation.”

He, however, assured that to subside and lower tension, the Kebbi State Governor, Dr Nasir Idris, hosted the Customs Area Controller on the way forward, and normalcy has since been restored.

READ ALSO  "First thing I’ll do in office to ‘cleanse’ Benue state" – Governor-elect, Fr Hyacinth Alia says

“The Customs Area Controller, Iheanacho Ojike, has been in touch with the Commissioner of Police, and so far, some arrests have been made and an investigation was launched in view of arresting and prosecuting the criminals,” he added

In another development, the Defence Headquarters said troops of Operation Hadrin Daji have rescued 16 Almajiris and a woman abducted in Gada Local Government Aera of Sokoto State.

The DHQ, in a statement on Saturday, by the Director of Media Operations, Maj. Gen Buba Edward, said the troops with local authorities and government agencies worked together to ensure the freedom of the hostages.

He noted that the rescued victims had been handed over to the Sokoto state government.
The statement read, “Recall terrorists invaded and kidnapped 16 pupils (Almajiris) with a woman in Gada LGA of Sokoto State.

“On 21 March 2024, the military, working with local authorities and government agencies across the country, in a coordinated search and rescue operation rescued these hostages.

“The rescued hostages have been handed over to the Sokoto State Government for further action. ”

Edward, however, said the military had extended its resources to find and rescue kidnapped victims in the country.

He vowed that the military would not rest on its oars until terrorists and other non-state actors abducting citizens are brought to book.

READ ALSO  Two injured as suicide bomber detonates IED near mosque in Borno

Edward said, “Additionally, the armed forces are extending all of its efforts and resources to find other innocent hostages and track down the terrorists that perpetrated these crimes.

“These efforts would continue until they are found and the terrorists arrested, tried, and brought to justice by Nigerian law. The military would not rest until all kidnapped hostages are rescued.”

Edward also noted that troops would deploy the same efforts to fish out those behind the death of its personnel in Delta State.

He said, ” Furthermore, troops are deploying the same effort to track down the culprits responsible for the killings of 18 soldiers in Okuama Community in Delta State on 14 March 2024.”

He said the banner of wanted persons would be deployed in strategic locations.

He said, ” Indeed, to curb the freedom of action of terrorists and the perpetrators of insecurity across the country, the military has released banners of wanted terrorist and their cohorts.

“The banners would be deployed in strategic areas across the country. The deployment of the banner is for ease of recognition and arrest of the wanted persons. The public is urged to cooperate and report, please.”

Follow us on social media:
Advertisement
Comments

Trending

?>