Connect with us

Politics

Brazil legend Pele posts firsts message since being moved to ‘end of life care’

Published

on

Pele has given an update on his health, claiming that he is ‘strong’ and ‘very hopeful’, after reports emerged earlier on Saturday that he had been receiving ‘end-of life palliative care’ in hospital..




Reports in Brazil said the 82-year-old, who went into hospital last week, was receiving measures to relieve pain in an ‘end-of life palliative care’ ward.

They also said he was ‘no longer responding to chemotherapy’ in his fight against bowel cancer.

But, in a hugely positive announcement, Pele shared on Instagram that he was doing OK and thanked everyone who had sent their well wishes.

He said: ‘My friends I want to keep everyone calm and positive thinking. I’m strong, very hopeful, and following my treatment as usual.

‘I want to thank the whole medical and nursing team, for all the zeal I’ve been receiving. I have a lot of faith in God and every message of love I receive from you, coming all over the world, keeps me full of energy.

‘And watch Brazil in the World Cup too! Thank you so much for everything.’

He was admitted into the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo, Brazil on Tuesday suffering from ‘general swelling’ and ‘heart failure’.

An update on Thursday said the three-time World Cup winner was in a ‘stable’ condition in the hospital with his daughter Kely Nascimento insisting there was ‘no cause for alarm’.

However, a report by Folha de Sao Paulo on Saturday, said Pele wasn’t responding any longer to the chemotherapy treatment he has been undergoing since last September to treat his bowel cancer.

They said he is now in palliative care and won’t be subjected to invasive tests or treatment. Palliative care is for patients with potentially life-threatening diseases or conditions and end-of-life care.

But, according to ESPN Brasil, a statement from the hospital on Saturday said Pele was responding well to treatment for a respiratory infection and his health had not in fact deteriorated over the previous day.

They said: ‘Edson Arantes do Nascimento was admitted to the Hospital Israelite Albert Einstein this past Tuesday (29) for a reassessment of his chemotherapy for his colon tumor, which was diagnosed in September 2021.

‘He is still undergoing treatment and his health condition remains stable. He is responding well to care for a respiratory infection, and his condition has not changed in the last 24 hours.’

READ ALSO  Ogun presidential rally: Amosun reveals how Tinubu “escaped through back door”
Follow us on social media:
Advertisement
Comments

Trending