Nigerian singer/activist, Charles Oputa, popularly known as Charly Boy has come out to condemn the arrest of unarmed protesters at the #OccupyLekkiTollGate earlier today by security operatives.
Earlier today, protesters stormed the tollgate en masse to protest it’s planned re-opening following the dark events of October 20, 2020.
Not long after, reports broke that ace Instagram comedian, Mr Macaroni alongside others had been picked up by policemen during the protests.
In a live Instagram post before his phone and those of other arrested protesters were seized, the comedian lamented that “Lekki is under military rule.”
He said, “How did you think the reopening of tollgate is the next line of action? If you didn’t do that today, we won’t have a right to be here.
“It is a disrespect to say that you want to reopen at this tollgate. Are you spitting on the graves of the dead?
“Na military regime we dey? We also have a right to be heard. We have a right to protest peacefully.”
Charly Boy has now blasted the Nigerian government saying that citizens have the right to engage in peaceful protest as enshrined in the constitution.
Reacting to the development, the 70-year-old singer said the actions of the security operatives showed the country has become “a jungle.”
“I know these animals have turned Nigeria into a Jungle. But peaceful protest is still our human right. Animals can’t dash us human right. Say no to #lekkitollgate reopening,” he wrote on Twitter.
In another tweet, he condemned the Nigerian government’s approach of clamping down on peaceful protesters whenever they take to the streets to air their grievances.
“A history of rape. A history of rejection. A history of Tribalism. A history of Terror. A history of Corruption. A history of nonentities in governance. A history of Docility. But, enough is enough. Say No to #lekkitollgate reopening,” he added.
Hakeem Odumosu, Lagos commissioner of police, had earlier warned that the state would not accommodate any other protest following the experience of the #EndSARS demonstration that took place in October last year.
“Permit me to state in clear terms that organising any protest in furtherance of the recent violent and destructive #EndSARS protest will be counterproductive to the ongoing series of inquiries and investigations into many cases related to the #EndSARS violence and the present security situation of the state,” he had said.
“The Lagos state, its people and the Nigerian nation at large are still groaning (in pains) for the aftermath of the last #EndSARS violence that left many lives and properties lost. It is therefore not reasonable to allow same to repeat itself in the state.”
Police Brutalize Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate
Denrele Edun Reveals That He Once Dated A Man, Says It Was The Worst Decision Of His Life (Video)
Gospel Singer, Tope Alabi, under fire for mocking her colleague, Adeyinka Alaseyori’s song ‘Oniduro’ (Video)
JUST IN: Woman Gives Birth To 10 Babies At ONCE (Photos below)
‘What TB Joshua Said When I Told Him He Was Going To Die’ – Prophet Joshua Iginla (Details below)
June 12: Store Foodstuffs Ahead Of D-Day, Nigeria Will Shut Down If Yoruba Person Is Killed – Sunday Igboho’s Aide
“If you use King James version to define your faith, you’ll worship demons” – Daddy Freeze claims
Biafra: “Choose Between Dialogue Or War With Igbos” – Ohanaeze Tells Buhari
Anthony Joshua Narrates His Journey From Nigerian Boarding School To Jail
- News2 days ago
Twitter suspension: US, UK, EU, others are hypocrites – Lai Mohammed
- News2 days ago
Biafra Agitators Storm UK Parliament, London To Protest Against Alleged Genocide In South-East
- News9 hours ago
Dot in Nigerian map: BNL, Nnamdi Kanu reply Buhari, name Biafran states
- Entertainment2 days ago
DJ Cuppy opens up on alleged relationship with Broda Shaggi