Connect with us


SHOCKING! Edo Prison Escapee Kills Neighbour Who Testified Against Him In Court



One of the 1,993 inmates who escaped during the jailbreaks at Oko and Benin prisons in Edo state has been arrested for murder. had reported how the inmates fled the prisons during the crisis that trailed the #EndSARS crisis.

While parading 126 suspected criminals on Wednesday, Babatunde Kokumo, Edo commissioner of police, said 10 of the suspects were the inmates who escaped earlier.

He said the inmates immediately returned to crime and were re-arrested by the police.

“We have commenced actions against the criminal elements. It will interest you to know that 10 of the criminal elements who escaped from Oko Correctional Centre on Airport Road, Benin and the Correctional Centre on Sapele Road, Benin were also arrested,” he said.

“One of them, after having he escaped from Oko correctional centre, ran back to his village on the same day, to kill the person who stood as a prosecution witness in the case that took him to the correctional centre. He has been arrested and he is among the suspects.

“Another group of three escapees from the correctional centre in Benin also went ahead to snatch a Lexus Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV). Three of them met at the correctional centre and they were caught by the police.

“A set of two escapees equally stole a Toyota Camry car. They also met at the correctional centre. They were arrested by Okada Division of Edo State Police Command. We have a total of ten escapees.

“The guns were also recovered from the criminal elements.”

He assured the people of the state that the police “have the capacity to provide adequate security for their lives and property”

READ ALSO  IPOB Issues Warning To Buhari Over Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan

“We are leaving no stone unturned to ensure that there is total safety. Edo residents should go about their lawful businesses without fear of being molested and without fear of criminals coming to wreck violent attacks,” he said.

The commissioner also said five AK-47 rifles; two locally-made exhibit guns; one locally-made gun; one Lexus 330 SUV with registration number KWL 205 AZ; one Toyota Camry saloon car with registration number LSD 231 GD; two bags of 50kg and one bag of 25kg rice and 24 crates of assorted drinks were recovered.

SEE the man whose motorcycle was stolen after he ran inside Osun Mall to steal freezer

Meanwhile, managers of the two Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) centres where there were jailbreaks have narrated how 1,993 inmates were freed after nearly three hours of almost unhindered operation by armed hoodlums.

The separate accounts of the managers of the two Medium Security Correctional Centre (MSCC) indicated that the hoodlums, who came in the guise of #EndSARS protesters, overpowered the few armed officers in the correctional centres, while there were no backups from sister security agencies despite frantic efforts to reach out to them.

The account of how the hoodlums had a field day operating at the correctional centres came to the fore when the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, led a team of top government officials and other security personnel for an assessment of the centres in Oko and Benin.

READ ALSO  Touching! Woman stood by her man who was ravaged from Drugs to Rehabilitation (See Photos)

At the facility in Oko, also known as the Oko Prison, PREMIUM TIMES learnt that the prison authorities first had an inkling of what was to come as early as 9 a.m. on Monday and called for reinforcement, but none came despite two other repeated attempts.

The 9a.m. attempt to break into the jail was repelled, according to West Amayo, Deputy Comptroller of Correction (DCC) in charge of Oko prison.

Mr. Amayo, who was explaining how the incident happened to Mr Obaseki and his fact-finding team, said the armed thugs returned at about 11.30a.m. but were again repelled before they came in full force at about 1.30p.m. where they succeeded in overpowering the armed prison officers, who ran out of ammunition.

“The first set of hoodlums came in at about 9a.m., they tried to get access, but we repelled them. They went to regroup and came back around 11.30 am, again, they were repelled by our men. At that point, we had locked the inmates in the respective cells but they started shaking all the bars and breaking the windows.

“At about 1.30a.m. when they came again for the third time, they were more in numbers with assorted rifles and they started firing from afar, from the Airport Road, although my men were replying, but of course, the number of firearms they had overpowered ours. That was how they took over the place. We had 14 armed prison officers, but the ammunition we had got exhausted. We called for reinforcement but none came.”