Connect with us

Celebrity Gossip & Gist

PAINFUL! Former Nigerian Captain, John Obi Mikel Cried After Fans Did This Unbelievable Thing To Him | They Must Be Punished

Published

on

Former Nigerian international John Obi Mikel was on the receiving end of racial abuse earlier this year. Mikel’s former team Trabzonspor defeated Turkish giants Fernerbache and after the game, the midfielder down in tears while speaking about the abuse he and his family received on social media.

The former Chelsea midfielder opened up about the situation.

He identified racism in the messages and stated his girlfriend Olga Diyachenka and four-year-old twin daughters.

“A lot has been said about this – the issue of racism but since I’ve been here, my team and colleagues at Trabzonspor have been very nice to me, there’s not been any issue,” he told Turkish TV.

“After the game on Saturday I started getting messages on my Instagram, even my girlfriend getting instant messages of racism and hatred.

“Very scary messages towards me and my family and kids. There’s no place for this.

“I don’t think this should be happening and I think these people should be held responsible. They shouldn’t be allowed to come to games.

“I’m very disappointed with this – especially my girlfriend, my family, my kids. They are only four years old, why do you talk about my kids?

“I am very sad about this, it’s a very disturbing time for me.”

The 32-year-old received thousands of abusive and harmful messages after the Turkish Super Lig fixture, and Trabzonspor have since filed a criminal complaint against individuals who allegedly racially abused Mikel.

After the incident, Trabzonspor released a statement condemning the act

‘Racism is a shelter for (the) helpless and ignorant.” it read.

“We condemn the racist attacks against our player Obi Mikel after the match against Fenerbahce and we bring to the public attention that a criminal complaint has been filed against the assailants. #WeStandwithObi #SayNoToRacism.”

A month after, Mikel confirmed in the heat of the coronavirus pandemic that he has had his contract terminated by mutual consent.

“There is more to life than football,” the 32-year-old had said on Instagram on Saturday.

“I do not feel comfortable and don’t want to play football in this situation. Everyone should be home with their families and loved ones in this critical time.

“Season should be canceled as the world is facing such turbulent times.”

He has since joined English Championship side Stoke City.

Advertisement
Comments

Trending