Earlier on Tuesday, Acting President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, directed the Police boss to, with immediate effect, overhaul the management and activities of SARSThe Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, swiftly swung into action by renaming the unit to Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad, FSARS, and also ordered the immediate overhauling of the SARS nationwide.
According to a statement made available to to journalists by the police spokesman Jimoh Moshood, the police boss appointed a police commissioner to head the FSARS.
READ FULL STATEMENT
The Inspector General of Police in compliance with the Presidential directives has ordered the immediate overhauling of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) to address complaints and allegations on human rights violations against some of the personnel of Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) from members of the public in some parts of the Country.
2. In the new arrangement, a new Commissioner of Police has been appointed as the overall head of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad nationwide.
3. The Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad previously under the Force Criminal Intelligence and Investigations Department (FCIID) is henceforth to operate under the Department of Operations, Force Headquarters Abuja. The Commissioner of Police (FSARS) is answerable to the Inspector General of Police through the Deputy Inspector General of Police, Department of Operations.
4. In observance of full compliance with the Presidential directives, the Federal Anti-Robbery Squad will be intelligence driven and will be restricted to the prevention and detection of Armed Robbery, kidnapping and the apprehension of offenders linked to the stated offences only.
5. New FSARS Commanders are being appointed for the Federal Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS) across the country that will now exist and operate in the State and Zonal Commands under the Commissioner of Police (F-SARS) at the Force Headquarters, Abuja. A Federal SARS Commander of a Rank of Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) but not below Superintendent of Police (SP) will be in charge of FSARS in State and Zonal Commands across the Country.
6. All Commissioners of Police have been directed by the Inspector General of Police to comply with this directive with immediate effect and warn their personnel not to pose as SARS operatives. The IGP X-Squad and Monitoring Unit have been mandated to go round the Commands and Police Formations nationwide to ensure strict compliance with the Presidential directives and apprehend any erring police officer.
7. A new Standard Operational Guidelines and Procedures, and code of conduct for all FSARS personnel to ensure that the operations of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad is in strict adherence to the rule of law and with due regards to international human rights law and constitutionally guaranteed rights of suspects will be enforced in totality by the Commissioner of Police, FSARS. Other measures to be implemented by the Force in observance of full compliance with the presidential directives are as follows:
i. Human Rights Desk Officers for FSARS in every State to take complaints from the public and forward same to Force Headquarters, the officer will be answerable to the Commissioner of Police, FSARS at the Force Headquarters and not Commander FSARS in the States.
ii. Medical/Psychological evaluation of all FSARS personnel will be carried out immediately.
iii. Redesigning of new uniform with identity name tag for all FSARS personnel throughout the Country will be done immediately.
iv. Henceforth, FSARS personnel will not perform Stop and Search duties except on distress call to respond to armed robbery and kidnapping offences only.
8. The Force will be transparent, cooperate, and work cordially with the National Human Right Commission on the special panel that will conduct an investigation of the alleged unlawful activities of FSARS to address grievances from the public against the personnel of FSARS in compliance with the presidential directives.
9. Furthermore, a new training program to be organized by the Force in collaboration with some Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), Local and International NGOs, and other Human Rights Organizations on core Police Duties, Observant of Human Rights and Handling, Care and Custody of Suspects have been directed by the Inspector General of Police for all Federal SARS personnel nationwide with immediate effect.
10. A committee of Senior Police officers, Technical Consultants, Human Rights/Civil Society organizations (CSOs) has been setup to review the activities of FSARS under the new arrangement. They are to pay unscheduled visits to FSARS formations across the country with particular attention to States with high complaints index, to assess facilities and situations in these States and submit report to the Inspector General of Police on regular basis.
11. However, aggrieved members of the public who have any complaint in the past or present of violation of their rights by any Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) personnel anywhere in the country are to report through any of the following channels for investigation and redress.
i. DIG, Department of Operations: 08037025670
ii. IGP X-SQUAD
0902 690 0729, 08078662130, 08174041000 – CALLS
0903 227 8905 – SMS
0903 562 1377 – whatsapp
Email: [email protected]
iii. IGP Monitoring Unit: [email protected], 08036242591
iv. Commissioner of Police, FSARS: 08033476852
v. FORCE PUBLIC COMPLAINT BUREAU
vi. PUBLIC COMPLAINT RAPID RESPONSE UNIT (PCRRU)
08057000001 – Calls Only
08057000002 – Calls Only
08057000003 – SMS & whatsapp only
vii. [email protected], 08027757359
viii. [email protected],
[email protected], 09051133035
x. [email protected], 07037887630
Ag. DCP JIMOH MOSHOOD
FORCE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
ABUJAFollow us on social media:
My ex-wife asked me to choose between her and Mohbad – Late singer’s father
Diaz goal incorrectly disallowed due to ‘significant human error’, admit PGMOL
JUST IN: Gunmen abduct 25 church members travelling for burial ceremony in Ondo
Half-nak*d woman seen waiting in line at Florida airport (video)
Naira Marley releases a recording of a phone conversation that he had with Mohbad days before his demise (Watch Video)
Man Stóned To Dèàth Inside His Car By Okada Riders For Accidentally H!tting Their Colleague In Jos (Graphic Photos)
Moment lady resets boyfriend’s brain with thunderous slap after he tries to end relationship (Watch Video)
“Whitemoney deserves my love, not Pere or Kiddwaya, he’s such a gentle guy and I am ready to show him a part of me” – Mercy Eke says (Watch Video)
Celebrity Gossip & Gist2 days ago
News2 days ago
“Untie my womb” – Married woman tackles father for being childless for 6 years
Celebrity Gossip & Gist2 days ago
“If that thing gets there” — Mercy Eke says as she twerks a storm for Pere (Watch Video)
Celebrity Gossip & Gist20 hours ago
“My daughter, Phyna disappeared after winning ₦100 million, doesn’t pick calls anymore” – Father cries out