Connect with us


Unbelievable: Man Ties His Own Niece To A Tree, Sets Her On Fire In Cross River



A man has set his own niece on fire after he first tied her up to a tree in a community in Cross River State.

In what will come across as a really shocking development, a mere two-year-old girl, Destiny Kelvin has been set ablaze by her uncle, Leo Ewa in Akampka Local Government Area of Cross River State.

According to Daily Post, the child who was reportedly tied to a guava tree and set on fire by her father’s brother because she defecates around was later rescued by a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), Child Protection Network (CPN).

The minor has, however, been handed over to the Basic Rights Counsel Initiative (BRCI) where she is currently undergoing treatment.

The program manager of the organization, Kebe Ikpi who confirmed to Daily Post that the victim was with them, said that the child sustained high degree of injuries which has made her unable to either stand or sit.

Ikpi added that the minor was not allowed to sleep inside the house as it was discovered she sleeps out in a makeshift bed not good enough even for a dog.

He said that the uncle tied her to a guava tree and set her on fire, alleging that the victim defecates around.

“As a result of the fire, she sustained high degree injuries. Her feet are burnt. She is not able to stand or sit. Apart from the injuries, she is looking malnourished and terribly underweight.

READ ALSO  See How A Nigerian Doctors Saved The Life Of CNN Journalist’s Mother

“She sleeps outside on a make shift bed not even good enough for a dog, let alone a human being”

Explaining further he said “She was rescued by Child Protection Network (CPN) in Akamkpa, and brought to Basic Rights Counsel Initiative (BRCI) in Calabar.

“She is currently undergoing treatment. The uncle has been arrested and BRCI will press for prosecution,” he stated.

When DAILY POST contacted the Police Public Relations Officer, Ms Irene Ugbo on phone on Monday, she confirmed the story, explaining that the father and the mother have been arrested and investigation on the matter was ongoing.

“The father of the girl is in our custody. The girl was brought in half dead but with the help of our Divisional Police Officer and welfare officer in the police, the baby was taken care of and she has recovered,” she stated.